Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Tiptoe Down the Driveway

We have had unusually beautiful weather this March in Syracuse.  The warm temperatures and sunny skies prompted  people to clean their yards earlier than I can recall.  Is also has made National Grid (our local gas and electricity supplier) charge a fee to consumers for unusual weather (I kid you not), thus promoting their alias, National Greed. 

With all this lamb type weather, we finally received two days of lion - with some rain on Monday, and rain/snowlike slush yesterday.  As I watched Sophia walk down the drive way to the bus, something caught my eye.  She was toe walking all the way down the driveway.  My eyes must have been the size of saucers as I have never her seen her toe walk so much.  I was concerned throughout the day that her sensory issues may have been exacerbated by something - stress or maybe even the weather pattern (was there really something to that Cornell rain research??)

When she came home, she ran across the grass to greet me, with a semi-normal heel-toe pattern.  As we drove off to retrieve our beloved Zach  from school, I asked Sophia if she knew why she was tip toeing down the drive way:  "Are you tired?  Were your ears bothering you?"   To which she responded: "Did you see all those worms in the drive way!?  GROSS."

Autism played another trick on me.  And it isn't even April Fools.

1 comment:

Melissa H said...

Heh heh heh.

We are always over-analyzing things. Sometimes, they are what they are. I always try to remember that Conor is a kid, first. :-)