Thursday, March 6, 2014

I have Faith, In my daughter especially



On Family, and Our Beautiful Daughter:


As Valentine’s Day approached and I double checked the family calendars for the various events we were scheduled for, I realized that I had double booked our family for one evening. (Not an unlikely occurrence as I am getting older, and stress and sleep deprivation has taken their toll.)  Sophia was supposed to attend a Father/Daughter Masquerade Ball that evening for the Girl Scouts.   When I realized my mistake, I went back and forth of what to do.  Many siblings of special needs children often feel that most of their parents’ time and attention is given to the child with special needs.  This is no different in our case, than in probably many other families.  We are aware of the issue, and try to purposely take time with our daughter, spending one on one time with her.  This dance was to be that time with her father.

I spoke with the husband, and our initial reaction was to cancel our outing at Eastern Hills. Easter Hills, a Bible church located on the opposite side of town, was sponsoring a “night out” for couples with children with special needs and their siblings. A fantastic opportunity to get care for BOTH the kids, in a fun atmosphere (they set it up like a carnival, including carnival games).
At some point, I prayed on this, and mentioned it again to my husband.  Yes, I am a woman of faith, I have an above average IQ, have studied graduate level science, know the history of religion and persecution (in both directions I might add), am a critical thinker and a skeptic, but also possess an intuitive ability that has helped me to make good decisions as could be shown statistically.  Call me crazy, but do not call me ignorant.  We decided to tell Sophia what had happened, and let her decide what to do.

2013 Father Daughter Dance
We sat Sophia down, explained that Mom had double booked, and wanted to know what she wanted to do.  While she expressed that she did want to go to the dance, I saw her become somewhat pensive.  Then she said: “Mom, Dad, you never get time to go out on a date.  I think you should go.”  And that was that.  We questioned her many times to make sure this truly was her decision, and indeed, she was unwavering.  

Why this surprised me in retrospect, I am not sure.  Indeed I have seen her countless times at this point be very selfless with her brother.  In fact, just recently, in an attempt to help Steve and I get more rest, we have attempted to get Zach to sleep the whole night in his whole bed, even upon waking.  Zach picked up on this rather quickly, and instead of waking us and attempting to hop into bed with us, he actually has hopped into bed with his ever-loving sister.  Yes, he has awakened her, and yes she has complained and we had to take him out of her room.  But one day, she actually said after a restless night with her brother, “I hope you got some sleep Mom.”  

The night of our date night, I was nervous.  Dropping off any child to people relatively unknown can make any a mother weak in the knees, but a special needs mother, even more so.  But also in the back of my mind was what my daughter had given up for us.  Would she have a good time? Had we guilted  her into this decision?

When we arrived to the chaos of picking up our children at the end of the night, how happy we were to find our daughter playing, and in fact, not wanting to go.  Both of our children were so happy.  The ride home, Sophia told us of the wonderful evening she had.  There is a saying that a mother is only as happy as her saddest child. Well, for that evening, I can say that my family and I were as happy as anyone could be. It was a gift given to us by not the scientific community, but by people of faith.
I saw many families who I know at the event, and I know how much it meant to all of us to have this evening.  

I also am incredibly proud and humbled to be raising a most amazing daughter. 

No comments: