We had our first ever visit to Chuck E Cheese's to help Sophia's friend celebrate her birthday.
Sophia and Zachary both appeared to have a decent time. Of course, this is two sensory kids going to a place that insults my not as sensitive senses, so I am not sure what this felt like to them. I can tell you this, at two hours into the festivities, they wanted out. No meltdowns, just out. Steve wanted out likely more than anyone.
A couple of observations about Chuck E Cheeses:
1) I now know where all those people that I see at the State Fair are in the off months.
2) The amount of serious cleavage and revealing clothing I saw (and found rather disturbing) rivaled that of the pick up joints I traversed in my wild younger college days. Are people actually looking to mate there?
Like almost everything in my life, I cannot go very far without meeting someone who I end up talking to who brings me back to a connection with autism. A woman was asking about getting together for a playdate, and I mentioned afternoons were busy because Zach had therapy, one thing after another, and she is good friends with the woman who began FEAT. We talked for almost an hour, making the CEC experience a lot easier to tolerate for me. She was incredibly sweet, someone I could see befriending.
I love it when I meet terrific people who are understanding and don't have any children on the spectrum. She knows what ABA is, what the GFCF diet is, what regressive autism is, the number of hours of therapy, the sensory issues. Guess that's what love does - she has a friend whom she loves and has had to watch go through the autism business, now she will likely forever be sensitive to others. Thanks be to God for people like this.
As for Chuck E Cheeses, Sophia said that's where she wants to have her next birthday, Daddy says he thinks not, and the proceeded to douse her with hand sanitizer. 3-4 day incubation period for most common viruses/germ based illnesses, so let's see how we are doing this Wednesday. Could be an interesting Thanksgiving.
1 comment:
I have to say that reading your blog also opened my eyes to many things related to autism I didn't know. As for CEC - there is NO WAY I am taking Anna there. I am pretty sure that parents of her best friends will not choose CEC as party place, for the rest we will sit it out.
Post a Comment