So it's five days before Christmas, and I have noticed that Buddy has been sleeping more than usual these past few weeks. Well, then this last week I noticed his breathing has been quite rapid. We were supposed to bring him to the vet yesterday, but alas, the winter storm kept us from doing much of anything.
Today, while I took Zach to his class, Steve took Buddy to the vet. Buddy has the tumor the size of a grapefruit on his spleen. They are not sure if it is cancer or a large blood mass. But either way, he will not survive. They didn't give us a prognosis - but made mention that depending on what he has (the cancer or the blood mass) he likely has weeks to months.
Despite this, he was acting pretty normal. Until this evening. He insisted on going with us to Church (no we left him in the car...) and all seemed OK. Then we arrived home and he refused to eat his dinner. After we ate ours, I took him into the family room to cuddle. After 20 minutes, he got up off the couch and jumped to the floor. He walked around a bit and then he collapsed. We were able to get him up to the mud room where he is now. He won't take the pain pills that the vet gave to us.
So now Steve and I are standing watch over him. He has been a terrific family member and I don't want to see him suffer. I let him know that it's OK and that he can leave me now, that he doesn't have to take care of me anymore. Steve will take care of us now and keep us safe. I love Buddy very much; more like a child than a pet. He has seen me through some really tough times, and taught me not to be selfish. He has done his job.
I ask that God take him in as painless way as possible.
What an absolute tough Christmas this is turning out to be.
We have a lovely home, two great jobs, food on the table - so many things to be grateful for. But when the people (and pets) you love are in distress, none of that other seems to matter. I would gladly live in a shack with the basic necessities if I could have those I love not have to go through all this.
No comments:
Post a Comment