Monday, April 27, 2009

Overgeneralizing

The autism walk at the zoo was a big success. Our fine motor station was a big hit thanks to the efforts of Jackie and Steve. We had play doh and tools, fruit loops and yarn to make necklaces, pull tubes and fuzzy balls and lentils for sensory stimulation. I was really excited by the constant stream of kids. I am learning so much from volunteering. I am also learning that I think I might need to lie low on the volunteer work for a bit and stick to the letter writing campaign (if you haven't contacted your NY state legislators please do so now - by visiting here.....) and a project proposal for a workshop for local pediatricians for early diagnosis.

Zach is saying and signing a few words regularly: no (says), candy (signs), hello (says) and bye (says) amongst a few words reported by the therapists that I haven't heard such as movie. However, we don't think he is quite getting the purpose of language because he is using words to request things that don't make sense. For instance, this morning he wanted a bottle (don't ask me how I know, I just know! Mommy-sense) and he gave me the sign for candy. I said: "do you want milk" while doing the sign for milk, and he shook his head while saying "no" and then pointed "up" while getting frustrated. He then reached for his sippy cup of milk on the counter. I tried to make him say milk, but alas I only got a point and a growl. It was as if he tried every trick in his book - he just didn't know which one was appropriate. The therapists believe he is overgeneralizing his limited words, and claim it is common. He still hasn't had that "ah ha" moment where he gets why the rest of us all talk.

The funny thing is watching him pick up a phone and say "hello" which comes out more like a "ha-whoa". What is going on in that cute little head of his?

Have a field trip to the most on Friday. Can't wait!

No comments: