------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just found out that there is a special education class at the high school that has 12 students, 1 teacher and 10 teaching assistants!! What's with that? If these children are that needy, why are they at the high school? My understanding is that some of these children are very significantly impaired, both physically and mentally. I certainly believe that when appropriate, we should keep special needs children in their local school. But when their needs are impacting students who are on an academic tract... well it's wrong! From what I have heard from a number of students, some classes have had to be altered due to some of these students. I agree these students need to be educated as much as possible, but my understanding is that they are entitled to "appropriate" education. I know that these students do have special needs, but 11 adults for 12 students, that's just not right! AND if their being in regular ed classes are having negative impacts on classes, well that's wrong too. BOCES has a wonderful program for these individuals that is totally suited for them. It's one thing if teaching assistants are in classes to help students with academics, but from what my understanding is that these teaching assistants are babysitting. Our tax dollars at work!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This post was then followed up with several others, many of them regurgitating the fact that costs are high, times are tough, these kids are disruptive, etc.
I had to post. I will no longer read this forum again. I think I know all that I need to know about people in my community.
MY POST:
--------As someone who moved to the WG school district a little over a year ago, AND someone who just had their life shattered by finding out that their 2 year old is autistic, I am glad to see where my fellow neighbors stand on this issue. My husband and I are high level professionals who pay way above average taxes for this area. We are the technical people with graduate degrees that Syracuse is always saying they need. We pay lots of income taxes, property taxes, school taxes. We have been involved in various community projects and volunteer work. To see that when times are tough, people are ready to take out the meek for the mediocre just kills me. I do not want children's education disrupted, that is why they need a 1:1 aid. If the child is disruptive with an aid, than they should be removed from the class and put into another environment, I agree. Bussing the kid into another program is not always the answer, nor is it the most cost effective. These issues are taken on a case be case basis, and the school district does so with the intent to keep costs at a minimum I assure you. Many other areas in the country where autism rates are high (notably Boston, Southern California, and the research triangle in NC) have inclusion classes that are terrific programs and have parents who are quite often very well educated themselves having their typical children benefit greatly for the experience. Perhaps if some of your typical children pay attention to their classmates with special needs they could truly do something beneficial in this world (determining what causes autism anyone?) and having respect and empathy for others (which I see so lacking in many people around here) which will build a better society for all, and not just be a bunch of accountants in the cogs of mediocrity.
I was an honors student whose education was disrupted more often than not by the social nastiness of teenagers and apathetic attitude of my peers. I likely would have benefited from having more interaction with those who needed special ed for no other reason than to appreciate what I was given in this life.
May none of you ever have to bear the pain parents have to endure when their child requires such services and have to hear from those who were lucky enough to escape this world without incident of how much it costs. Autism affects 1:150 (and may very well be on the rise). These numbers will only increase. You will have to deal with these children in society one way or another - so might I suggest you start getting to know them and their parents in a school environment?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Needless to say - this is an anonymous forum - so I was blasted with comments about inbreeding and other belligerencies. I will no longer read the forum. This is the world we live in. God supposedly created these people. He didn't say I had to like them, just that I had to love them.
No comments:
Post a Comment